Witsand, THE WHALE NURSERY OF SOUTH AFRICA has on offer:
- The largest concentration of Southern Right whales found on the South African coast. We only offer land-based whale watching as no boat based whale watching license has been issued as the nursery is regarded as a sanctuary for the whales.
- Sea- and river cruises up to the Bush Pub;
- Fishing in the Breede River for the illusive 50kg kob, rock angling and fly-fishing;
- Hiking trails – a choice of 6 trails ranging from easy to difficult;
- 4x4 dune- and farm trails for quad bikes, cyclists, horses and 4x4 vehicles;
- Bird watching – more than 296 species in most habits;
- Swimming, canoeing, kite boarding, kayaking, snorkeling, and lots more;
- Excellent photographic subjects and artists delight;
- Stunning natural scenery, farmlands and surrounding mountains;
- The pontoon at Malgas – 39km up river – the last hand-operated pontoon in South Africa.
- The "Barry Memorial Church" – National Monument;
- The Barry woolshed – built in the 1860’s;
- Kraaltjie harbour built by the Barry family in the 1890’s.
Sport and eco-adventure
- Kite boarding; swimming; surfing, wind surfing; kite surfing and kite flying;
- Bowls, putt-putt;
- Golf – 9 holes;
- Deep sea charters and river tours;
- Paragliding, canoeing, sailing, spear fishing, snorkeling, quad bikes;
- Tractor trails
Close to nature
- Whale watching;
- Ostrich trails, enjoyed by foot, cycle, quad bike or escorted in customized vehicle;
- Bird watching, flamingo’s and the endangered black oystercatcher;
- Flora and fauna in abundance. Tame bushbuck nibble grass on the edge of our roads and Franklins are found running all over the village.
Arts and crafts
- Flee markets during Easter and Christmas holidays
- Farm theatre – Dasjesdrift on Alfred Rademan’s farm
- Vondeling Eco Farm School.
- Enjoy various restaurants in the village (see under businesses).
- Various (see under businesses).